Monday, March 23, 2009

Part II

Seven O'Clock. Saturday evening. The MRT station was buzzing with people like bees to honey. Throngs and throngs of people passed through the station, everyone seemed to be in a hurry. The incessant announcements of "If you see any suspicious looking person or article lying around, please inform our staff or call 999" was beginning to irk me. I must have heard that announcement over ten times while I waited. And waited.

I had been waiting at the train station since 6.30pm. Eager and anxious, I had arrived there thirty minutes ahead of the appointed hour. I was definitely not going to be late for this one. With my back against the wall, I glanced nervously at my watch, not daring to move from my prime position where I could see the faces coming out the MRT turnstiles. I was not going to miss it for the world.

This had been my highlight of the week, since that SMS was sent a couple of days ago. I had been living on cloud nine for the past forty-eight hours. Nothing was going to pop my bubble. The anticipation was harrowing, yet, exciting. Seven O'Clock. Still no sign of her. Could she have walked past me? Impossible. I had a bird's eye view of every passing individual for the past thirty minutes. I could have been employed as a security guard with my vigilance. There was no way she could have walked past me. 

As I picked up my phone to check on my date, it started ringing. "Hello?" I answered. "Hey, I'm five minutes late, still on the train. Next stop is City Hall." I smiled as I acknowledged her location. My date was slightly delayed, but she, was definitely on her way.

The black dress caught the corner of my eye. Was the her? As the figure approached me, it hit me. That was her alright. I was dumbfounded for a moment. "How come I didn't realize she was so pretty before?" I wondered to myself. The frantic pace of walking soon broke into a bashful smile. "I'm so sorry, I'm late". She apologized sheepishly. "No worries" I replied. "I just got here myself too". "GOSH!" I thought to myself, lying on my first date already?

Bliss.

1 comment:

style sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.