Friday, May 30, 2008

Reflections...

School holidays, and finally sometime for reflection. This is where I start getting philosophical about life. I feel that the word 'reflection' has been massively overused. Reflection, more than anything else, is like a rear-view mirror when you're driving. You look at it periodically to see what has happened and what's behind you. You don't drive looking at your rear view mirror all the time - you only look in the past to understand how and why you got to be as such. 

I've been teaching in this school for the past ten weeks. There's been ups and downs, but in general, i think i can safely conclude that there's been more ups than downs. I guess you take what you got and make the best use of it. Don't keep hoping for something you don't have and then get disappointed when you don't get it. Don't get me wrong, please have targets and goals. Those of you who know me well enough will know that I am a very goal-oriented person. I like to see myself achieving things. There's a saying which goes, 'he who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.' I can't agree with. Aim for nothing, and you will get nothing. Aim high, and work towards that aim. 

I was thinking about my university days and how much I missed them. I was thinking about my friends in university and how much fun we had together. I met my best friend in university. I learnt to ski. I learnt to study on my own. I learnt how to cook. And there are so many more things I learnt in university, both in and out of the classroom. It was fantastic. Those were good times. I remember in university, I used to take one module that I hated every semester. The only reason for that was so I could complain about it. Weird. I'm weird.

I never really imagined myself as a teacher while I was going through university. I thought i was going to be working in some other government department. Well, technically, MOE is a government department. But, I was looking more towards something like foreign affairs or home affairs. But having been in Bendemeer for ten weeks, I have no regrets taking up teaching..

Will post more stuff up tomorrow.

Au revior

Take care and stay safe

Mr Goh

No comments: